Monday, June 27, 2011

June 22nd - MCC Track - 5.86 miles - 01:19

Not gonna lie, this was the worst track workout, probably the worst run actually, I've ever done. The weather wasn't the worst it's been, it was hot and humid, but it was worse in the weeks before. But I was tired to begin with - I'd run six out of the previous seven days and I just don't usually do that much running. Add to that some hormones and the fact that I hadn't slept well for weeks and it just was not my day.

The workout was the ladder:
Warmup of 1.4 miles.
1 x 400 (1 lap) ; recovery lap
1 x 800 (2 laps); recovery lap
1 x 1600 (4 laps); recovery lap
break
1 x 800 (2 laps); recovery lap
1 x 400 (1 lap); recovery lap
1.25 mile cool down.

Not sure I ever did this last year, I know it was on the books a few times but the weather was just so insane more often than not we just tried to run without passing out. I felt very sluggish during the warm up, trying to take it slow but still struggling. And once we hit the track it was all over. I immediately fell behind and had no hopes of keeping up with the group. All plans and intentions went out the window, I just wanted to get a few miles in before calling it quits. Mentally I was a little bummed but in this case it was definitely my body letting me down and telling me to knock it the hell off.

I ran a few lonely laps until I caught up with Ameenah, we ran, or jogged, or walked probably two miles together. We chatted about all kinds of things and kept each other company, I ended up with almost six miles on my legs and that was more than good enough for me. Had it not been for my buddy I would have bailed much earlier.

I was upset about it afterward, but not overly so. I didn't crawl home in tears like I had last year. I sucked it up, chalked it up to a bad day, ate some pizza and hoped for better runs in the future. When I actually did look at my Garmin I found some decent miles 12:02, 11:23, 10:56 WHAT, 12:37 - the fast laps were only supposed to be at 12:15/mile pace so I think I did a pretty decent job when I was actually running. That did make me feel better, but I still ate pity pizza anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment