Monday, June 27, 2011

June 26th - Ken Gar South - 12 miles - 02:25

Well that's more like it! A relatively beautiful morning for a run, actually a little chilly standing around in the parking lot. That's always a good sign, the sun never really did come out and the humidity stayed on the lower side of sauna.

There are parts of the run south that I really hate, I don't care for mile 3 and mile 4 past the Mormon temple and through some neighborhood just annoys me for some reason. Tends to sap the energy right out of me, and when I know it's coming up I preemptively get cranky. Instead of letting it get to me I starting cracking jokes, I think there was a lot of talk about butts, and tried to keep my mind occupied. I'm not often a talker during runs, not that I'm not able to but I just don't have much to say. So unless someone's chatting at me, which I don't mind at all, it's just me and whatever thoughts are in my head. More often than not those are negative thoughts so I'm actively trying to banish those and replace them with something more positive. Like butts.

We ran out to the stables where, if you're lucky, you get to see and possibly pet some horses. And if you're even luckier Coach Don will be there with two coolers of ice cold water. What a welcome sight (Don't smile as much as the water). On the way back Coach Kathy and I stopped to use the bathroom, telling the group we'd catch up. The entire group must have been hauling ass, we weren't in the bathroom that long and they were much farther ahead than we thought they would be! So much ass was hauled, Kathy and I ran that mile in about 11:20.

We knew as we were going that we were fast, but not uncomfortably so, and so we pressed on as a group. I think we slowed a little around mile 10 or so, a much needed moving rest, but we finished as strong as we started. Kathy and I ended with an average pace around 12:05 thanks to the bathroom catch-up, the rest of the group just under 12:30. How awesome is that? Seriously awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment